How the World Heard of the Disaster

The White Star Line

The Titanic at dock in Belfast

Exhibition

At The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum

 

" Slowly she reared up on end until at last she was absolutely perpendicular. Then quite quietly but quicker and quicker, she seemed to slide away………..and disappear."

 

Captain Edward J.Smith and his Officers

 

This oral eyewitness account of the sinking of the Titanic, delivered in a crisp British accent by the ship's  Second Officer, a Mr. Lightoller, is one of the details that makes "Titanic" a spectacular and fascinating exhibition.

 

The horror and courage of that night, are highlighted in the exhibition by a dramatic reconstruction of the actual sinking.

 

 

The centre piece is a scale model of the foundering Titanic built by David Tedford, model maker at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, which captures the atmosphere and the feeling of terror that must have pervaded the doomed decks of the liner as she went down.

 

The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum's model of the Titanic

 

Titanic - Legend and Truths Are Raised Again

The exhibition tells the whole story of the Titanic from her construction, loss and subsequent legend to the exciting discovery of her rusted, empty hull on the Atlantic seabed in 1985. By combining original Titanic material with vintage photographs, recordings, newsreel footage of the time , shock newspaper front pages and music, the exhibition creates a sense of the era as well as the catastrophe. The purpose of the exhibition is not only to inform, but also to trigger the visitors imagination, emotion and sense of mortality.

 

The Construction of the Titanic

 

1st Class interior

On the night of 14th/15th April 1912 the White Star Liner, R.M.S. Titanic foundered in the North Atlantic with great loss of life. It was the most horrific shipping disaster ever to occur in peacetime. Titanic, the largest and most luxurious liner in the world, was making her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York when she struck an iceberg and sank within two and a half hours. Her hull was pierced below the waterline for a length of 300 feet, and the enormous rush of water, with which the pumps and system of hull division could not cope, doomed the ship.
The tragedy of the collision was that there were not enough lifeboats to save the 2201 people on board, and of the 20 available lifeboats, not all were filled to capacity.

The Cunard liner Carpathia picked up only 712 survivors when she arrived on the scene four hours after receiving Titanic's wireless distress signals.

 

Newspaper Headline

Workers at Harland and Wolff Shipyard with the Titanic in the background

To commemorate the 75th anniversary in 1987 of the loss of the Titanic, this major exhibition opened at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. Here, in Belfast, the disaster has a special poignancy, as the Titanic was built in Harland and Wolff LTD's Queens Island shipyard and there is a thwarted pride in her memory.

Thomas Andrews and his shipbuilders

Poster for return trip from New York

The Titanic was registered at 46,328 gross tons with a length of 852.3 feet and at the time was the largest ship ever built. After a launch on   31st May 1911, she was completed and delivered on 2nd April 1912 to her owners, The White Star Line.

 

The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum has within its Photographic Archive, what is probably the world's largest and most important collection of photographic negatives relating to this ill-fated liner which has passed into both maritime history and international folklore.

The Titanic

For 86 years the Titanic has maintained a powerful hold on the imagination of people throughout the world. Despite the magnitude of other horrors, Titanic remains the ultimate symbol of disaster. The exhibition suggests it is because the Titanic story is an universal lesson in the mystery of the human condition. It is a dramatic revelation of human fallibility and nobility in a capricious and uncertain world.

 

For further details of the Photograph Archive   

Click Here

 

The Museum is open all year round except for a few days at Christmas.

Opening Hours and Prices

Visit the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum Web Site

Contact Details:

.

Ulster Folk and Transport Museum
Cultra, Holywood, Co.Down
BT18 0EU
Northern Ireland
Tel: +44 (0)2890 428 428
Fax: +44 (0)2890 428 728

e-mail:  uftm@nidex.com

 

All Photographs are Copyright of the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum please no unauthorised use.

Hosted by Nidex